To rank on Google in today’s fiercely competitive internet, you need to do what works TODAY – not 5 years ago. It’s all about great content, more great content, and interacting with clients and constant feedback. If you want a site that shows up on a competitive Google search, it has to be ‘worked’. A static site, or one that never changes or updates, will continue to drop in the page rankings until there is little hope anyone will find it.
- Traffic doesn’t just happen anymore, you have to direct it!
For clients that want to improve their site’s ranking and visibility, but they don’t have the time, skill, or perhaps the budget to create a new site or redesign their existing site, there are measures that we at Brichouse Media can take to greatly increase page ranking, brand recognition and site traffic.
- The MOST important ingredient – Content! You have to have good content that people want to look at, and you need new content added to your site regularily
- Make sure your site is using the most updated version of the CMS you use. If not, Google bots will downgrade your site either because it appears the site is neglected or it could harbor malware
- Install WordPress RSS Poster – A plugin which can automatically fetch full text from multiple RSS feeds from other syndicated websites
- Set up a feed from a relevant site that DOES update content consistently
- Use Google Reader to create a feed for static pages
- Install and setup a good SEO plugin like WordPress SEO by Yoast or All In One SEO Pack
- Do keyword research to find out what people in your niche are really looking for
- Do on-page SEO – and add SEO to the CMS, making sure the site content is optimized for whatever keywords you’re using
- Hyperlink copy within your site to outside sites with web authority – never link your site to a site with less authority or an untrustworthy site
- Make sure the browser titles and descriptions are keyword-rich and are good mini-ads for the site – Page descriptions are more important that keywords, and this is also the information that Google will use as a snippet to describe the content of your web page
- Use Tags on your blog posts
- Use Permalinks containing keywords
- Add a News page to navigation bar – Add a newsfeed, or post daily news articles from other sources
- Add a section on your site where public comments are allowed, and update comments regularly
- Add a blog to your site – Post your own content, or articles from others that are cited to the author
- Create a Google Webmaster and Google Analytics account
- Install and activate Google XML Sitemaps
- Create social pages and link them to your website – Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, Twitter
- Post daily on your social pages with a RSS feed of our posts on your website
- Post content from other social pages on your social posts (if you don’t have your own content)
- Make comments on User Forums in your industry, and on social sites with links back to your website
- LIKE or Recommend articles from other sources on social sites
- Join User Groups on social networks and Like or Follow people or groups that can advance your site
- Add your Facebook, Linkedin or Twitter feeds to your site to keep your site active
- Relevant and quality incoming links from authoritative sites, and outgoing links to authoritative sites
- Add links from your home page to inner pages
Once you have updated your site with the best possible SEO practices, install the Firefox add-on called SenSEO. It appears in your Firefox browser toolbar and once you visit a page you want to inspect, you click it, and it shows you what the search engines will see – the title, meta, header tags, etc. This will allow you to fine tune the site to make sure that the search engines “see” what you want them too.